CTS has been serving the Body of Christ in North Carolina and beyond since 1990 when it was incorporated by Dr. Barney W. English to train ministers for the work of the ministry. Dr. English had served as a minister in the Pentecostal Freewill Baptist organization for many years. In an effort to extend and enhance the effectiveness of his ministry he founded the seminary while living and serving in the Wilmington, N.C. area. Dr. English has three earned doctorates.
After many years of service and for age and health reasons, Dr. English reluctantly retired and passed the seminary on to a capable disciple, Dr. Lyndon Purifoy, who was well able to carry on the school. Previously for seven years, he had served Dr. Harold Vick, founder of Jacksonville Theological Seminary, as curriculum director, then on the road establishing new schools as a satellite school director as well as serving as vice-chairman of the Board of Directors. However, in the last several years Dr. Purifoy’s fuller ministry has developed through his leadership gift and his apostolic teaching ministry to place more effort toward personal growth and development of individuals [discipleship] for the expansion of the Kingdom of God; additionally, others have sought him out for development, covering, oversight and direction. Therefore Dr. Purifoy, seeing the hand of the Lord along with his desire to continue the heritage and legacy of both Dr. Barney English and Dr. Harold Vick, passed leadership to Dr. Flynn to carry on and expand the ministry.
1. DISCIPLINE – To disciple and equip ministers who will GO and do likewise (Matthew 28:18-20, Ephesians 4:11-16).
2. DEGREE – To prepare and/or recognize ministers for their ministerial labors and school experience rendering honor to them (Romans 13:7, 1 Timothy 5:17).
3. DUPLICATE – To commit to faithful men and women the basics of Christian character, growth and ministry for reproduction – duplication – of these truths and materials to others, who will in turn commit the same to others who will also do the same, which in turn, will MULTIPLY the Word of God, as well as the work of the ministry (2 Timothy 2:2)!
1. PERSONALLY – To personally model the above, teach it, and release it to others to do the same, just as Jesus and Paul did (2 Timothy 2:3-7, Acts 1:1, 2 Timothy 2:2).
2. PRACTICALLY – To establish and extend God’s Kingdom on earth through preaching and demonstrating the Gospel of grace, teaching it to others, and releasing them into ministry to do the same (Matthew 6:9, 28:20, Mark 16:15-20, Luke 24:44-49, Acts 1:8, 20:24,32, 2 Timothy 2:2).